Tuesday, October 8, 2013

BF4 BETA: Actual First Impressions (I've Calmed Down)

Phew, it’s been a great week. Not only did I start having somewhat of a life, but I’ve also played the ever-loving (expletive of your choice) out of the BF4 beta. I hit max rank on Sunday, and Monday night was my night with the least playtime as of yet: only 5 hours! That whole blurb about me starting to have a life? I exaggerated a tad.

And I can say with utmost certainty: the BF4 beta sucks. Hear me out.

The BETA sucks. At least, solely on the 360 and solely with my worn out controller that won’t let me sprint, move, or aim properly.

RIP my controller and all of the grease on it 2011-2013. And the left stick is stuck in that position, I just picked it up. It can still move but sticks. Wait, no one cares, sorry.

I’ve heard good things about the PC version, and I know for a fact that it has to be better than the buggy piece of garbage us console plebeians are stuck with. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a ton of fun to play, but it’s not up to par.

First of all, I know I said the graphics were bad (and it shouldn’t matter unless they impact actual gameplay), but they impact actual gameplay (ohhhh). When people disappear while I’m shooting at them, when tanks are invisible, and when optics are so blocky you can’t aim with them, that’s a problem.

There’s also a ton of bugs, like people elongating to around twelve feet tall! I’ve also gotten stuck in numerous walls, and elevators are extremely wonky. C4 doesn’t work half the time, and the first aid kit doesn’t give you points (this may be intended, I’m not sure). Sniping is a hot mess, and the way the motion ball is deployed is extremely inconvenient. I could go on but I’m tired.

NOW, let’s make one thing clear: this isn’t really even a representation of the game (If you’re on PC/next gen consoles. Current gen it may be kind of close.). First of all, we all know Micro$oft requires companies to put in betas in for certification months in advance (Sony does too, put down the flaming bows). This isn’t a current build of the game, it’s closer to the alpha version! The gameplay is relatively the same, but the bugs, balance issues, and graphical issues won’t be.

How I'm coping with my realizations.

I’m still pumped for the full game; I’ve had tons of fun with this objectively bad version, now when I’m playing full release on PS4…that’s going to be a whole different story.

That’s the message I’m getting from all of the information I have. Sorry about the short post, I’m all writing-ified out. That’s a word now.


No comments:

Post a Comment